Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day 11: Sideways

Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, 2003

I am not sure how to feel about this one. I just finished it a few minutes ago and I feel like I really need to think about it.

It must be infinitely easier to understand a movie when you're watching it, instead of reading it. Because I know there has to be something awesome about this screenplay, because it's number 90 on the list of top 101 screenplays of all time. It's listed higher than "Grapes of Wrath," which I loved. Something about watching a movie allows you to keep track of events better than reading, because it's easy to zone out while reading. Or maybe I'm just making up excuses.

Why am I not sure how to feel about it?

Well, it's a comedy movie. A few events happen that would probably be funny to see, but everything seems serious when you read it (in my opinion, at least). So I can't tell if what parts were supposed to be funny and what was dramatic. Secondly, I can tell that the writers really knew what they were doing. There are some really good moments. A few shots are composed really well, and the visual metaphor of the main character's anxiety being like tightrope-walking is pretty smart.

But, you see, I'm not completely sure what it's about. I think it's saying something like "seize life" or "don't let the good things pass you by," but I really am not sure. I know Miles was the main character, going through some kind of change involving seizing the day. But I don't really know why Jack was a character, or what his purpose was. I think he was to show contrast to Miles and convince Miles to do some stuff, but overall he seemed to be kind of insensitive to Miles' troubles. So what purpose did he serve?

I... don't know. I think I need to read this script again, or see the movie or something, so I can understand it better. I just feel.. puzzled.

No comments:

Post a Comment