Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 18: Tootsie

Larry Gelbart, 1982

Well. This is another one of those screenplays. I knew going into this one that it was gonna be hella good, which means I scrutinized every scene to try to understand its significance. There are some things I don't quite understand. There are some things I appreciate. Overall, I can tell that this is a very meticulously-crafted screenplay. But I can't completely learn from it after reading it just once. It isn't quite as straightforward as something like No Country for Old Men. Like Sunset Boulevard, I need to sit on this one and then see the movie and then sit on it some more and then reread the screenplay. And I don't want to judge it until then.

Still, I figured I should at least make a blog post that I read it, if only just to keep track.

I wonder if the mark of a good screenplay is that it makes me think? That I don't completely understand it the first time? Or I wonder if that's not a very good sign, and that means the writer wasn't as clear as he could be. Maybe I just have to be in the right mood to "get" everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment